Follow us on:      

What options do I have for studying in Holland?

You have several options for studying in Holland. You can enrol in an English-taught bachelor's, master's or PhD degree programme or short course. Or, if you speak Dutch, enrol in a Dutch programme.

What do the different degree titles mean (e.g. the difference between B and BA/BSc and between M and MA/MSc)?

Graduates of bachelor’s programmes at a research university obtain a Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science (BA/BSc) degree, depending on the discipline. The degree of a bachelor’s programme (B) offered by universities of applied sciences indicates the field of study (for example, Bachelor of Engineering, B Eng). The same applies to master's programmes (MA/MSc for degrees from research universities and M for universities of applied sciences.

Which documents are usually required for admission?

For bachelor's programmes:

• high school diploma at the appropriate level;
• list of subjects with grades from your high school;
• diploma showing your level of English (TOEFL or IELTS).

For master's programmes:

• bachelor’s degree in the same field of study as your master's programme or equivalent;
• list of subjects with grades;
• diploma showing your level of English (TOEFL or IELTS).

Each institution may require additional documents, such as a motivation statement, curriculum vitae (CV), recommendation letter(s), or a copy of your passport and/or birth certificate. Some institutions require GRE and/or GMAT-results, portfolio, and so on, depending on the programme you are interested in.

What level of English do I need to study in Holland?

This depends on the institution and/or study programme. The two English tests that are accepted in all institutions are:

IELTS: for this test you will need at least a result of 6.0. Some programmes may require a result of 6.5 or 7.0.

TOEFL: the minimum score for the Internet Based Test (IBT) is 80 (equivalent to 550 on the Paper Based Test, PBT). Some programmes require a higher score. Computer based result should be 213. For art institutions other regulations may apply.

Can I do an internship in Holland?

If you are not interested in doing a study programme or course but want to do your internship in Holland, there are several options that are worth considering. There are several ways to find an internship. A very common method is through your university. Almost all universities have a dedicated desk where they can give you access to their database of internship opportunities.

How do you apply for an internship?

In general, you apply for an internship in the same way as you apply for a normal job. This means you respond to a vacancy with your CV and a cover letter, or you can apply speculatively.

How much are you expected to work?

Before you start your internship, you will discuss with your employer how many hours a week you should work, and for what period of time. At this point, you can talk about your exact role at the company.

How much do you get paid for an internship?

Dutch employers are not legally obliged to pay you for your efforts, though many give some kind of compensation, such as travel expenses. Others may be more generous and pay you a small amount. Depending on your educational background and the companies own policies, you might get something between 180 and 450 euros a month. Be aware that you still might have to pay taxes on anything you earn from an internship.

What does Exception for internships mean?

If you are studying at a Dutch host institution and you need to do an internship as part of your study programme, you do not need a work permit. Your host institution and your employer do need to sign an internship agreement.

Do I need a visa to study in Holland?

Whether or not you need a visa depends on your nationality and on how long you will stay. Nationals from most countries need an entry visa including India. Once in the Netherlands, a residence permit is often required. In some cases a work permit is also required.

How much does it cost to study in Holland?

In comparison to most Anglo-Saxon countries, tuition fees and living costs in Holland are reasonable. In general, tuition fees for non-EU students, ranges from € 5,000 to € 15,000 depending on the programme.

Although costs of living may vary a little per city, generally students spend between € 500 to € 1,000 per month.

Can I work while I study in Holland?

International students who would like to take paid work alongside their studies are allowed to do so. However, depending on your nationality you can only do this for a limited amount of hours per week and only if the employer has applied for a work permit for you.

Health insurance and jobs

You need to be aware that as soon as you pick up a job, you are obliged to take out the Dutch basic healthcare insurance. If you do not meet this requirement you risk a huge fine.

Income tax

You are required to pay tax over your total Dutch income for the year. Scholarships may also be counted as income and added to the total.

Do I need to speak Dutch to study in Holland?

No, there are more than 2,100 programmes taught entirely in English. Dutch people speak English very well, so in public life you will also be able to manage with just English.

Where can I learn Dutch? Although many Dutch people speak English very well, you may want to learn some Dutch as a part of your Study in Holland experience. This can make it much easier to get in touch with other Dutch students and make some Dutch friends. There are several options for you to learn (some) Dutch both in Holland and in your home country.

Can I stay in the Netherlands after my graduation?

Once you have finished your academic programme in Holland, you may want to stay and continue studying or find a job in the Netherlands or you want to continue studying in your home country or leave to study in yet another country. If you have successfully finished your higher educational study programme (Bachelor's or Master's programme) in the Netherlands, you may apply for an orientation year for graduates. This orientation year enables you to seek employment, for example as a highly skilled migrant. You then apply for a residence permit to seek and perform work in employment or otherwise.

The residence permit is issued for a maximum period of 1 year counting from the date of your graduation and will entitle you to work in the Netherlands without any restrictions, while seeking suitable employment.

Can I use my foreign diploma to study or work in Holland?

When you apply to study here, your Dutch host institution will evaluate your diploma to compare it to a Dutch diploma. They will check if you meet the admission requirements. EP-Nuffic can advise the institutions about foreign diploma’s. You don’t have to take action for this yourself.

If you want to work in Holland, you can contact EP-Nuffic for more information and advice on how to have your foreign diploma evaluated in the Netherlands.

Will I be able to use my Dutch diploma in my home country or elsewhere?

You can ask for a Diploma Description, which provides information about academic qualifications obtained in the Netherlands and offers a suggestion on how the qualifications should be evaluated in the country in which it is presented. A full evaluation of your diploma can only be done in the country where you intend to work or study.

What kind of expenses should you expect when coming to Holland?

Your daily expenses include food, public transport, books, clothes, and cinema tickets. But you also need to take into account the costs for housing and insurance. Experience has shown that students living and studying in Holland for one year spend between €800 and €1,100 a month.


If you have an average student income – from a scholarship for example – you will find that one-third of it will go towards housing. An average room in Holland costs between €300 to €600 a month.

The costs depend on the city where you study, what is included in the rent and the arrangements made by the institution. Housing in Amsterdam for example is more expensive than in smaller towns.

How can I find housing in Holland?

There are many options for arranging the accommodation that suits you best, but make sure you start looking for a room as soon as possible.

If you want to look for accommodation yourself, you can try these websites:

• • Erasmate • Eurasmus • HousingAnywhere • Kamernet
• Nestpick • Pararius • Smart Wonen • The Student Hote • Uniplaces


Food is estimated to take another third of your income. Fortunately, most higher education institutions offer hot meals at reasonable prices. Many cities have pubs (eetcafés) where you can get a good meal at a good price. But the cheapest way to eat is to do your own cooking.

Some average prices: a cup of coffee/tea in a café: €2, a cheese sandwich: €3, dinner in a typical student restaurant: €10. Most supermarkets offer a variety of brands. It is worth comparing the prices to find the cheapest option.

Other expenses

The remaining third of your income will go towards leisure, books, travel and other expenses. Bus tickets cost around €2 for a single fare in the city. You can consider buying a discount card for train tickets, which gives you 40% reduction in off-peak times.

Cinema tickets cost about €11.50 but most cinemas give student discounts.

Student discounts
Many bars, restaurants, museums and cinemas give student discounts. Most of these ask for proof in the form of a student card from your institution. You should check in advance if a student discount is available.

Especially for international students, the International Student Identity Card (ISIC) can provide some interesting discounts and offers on travel, shopping, museums and more, worldwide.